The Genesis and the Growth of the Congregation

The Congregation of the Immaculate Conception (CIC), Madurai, was started with four unlettered simple women at Panjampatti, a small village near Dindigul on 2nd February 1899.

A severe famine hit the entire part of South India. People suffered and died in large numbers, for want of food and medicine. Fr. Larmey, the then Parish Priest of Panjampatti, tried his best to feed the people in and around Panjampatti, tapping various sources. Later, this Congregation was shifted to, and established in, Madurai on 2nd July 1911.

In 1986, as result of the celebration of the Platinum Jubilee of CIC, the challenging mission activity in Bihar State, the Northern part of India, was started.

In continuation of this missionary zeal we set foot in Zambia (Africa) and South Africa, Italy and in Sri Lanka.

During the past ten decades, this Congregation has flourished, propelled by the providence of God, resembling the proverbial mustard seed.

This booklet photographically portrays, in a nut shell, the massive mission and the meaningful ministries of the CIC.